07 August, 2007

Interview with my Flickr friend Cookie (Mac_Raw)







1. How did you first get interested in photography? And are you self taught?

*I bought my first DSLR camera when my aunt invited me to San Francisco last mid of September 2006. Started using it as soon as we arrive on the place. Just point and shoot without reading the manual. Basically self taught..have no prior interest nor knowledge about photography.


2) Do you have a favorite walk around lens? If so, what is it?

*When I go out, I always carry my backpack with me with Tamron 18-200mm and Tamron 180mm macro lens. But always use the 18-200mm since I'm more comfortable using it and it is much more versatile compared to 180mm.


3) What equipment and software do you use?

*Nikon D80. Tamron 18-200mm and Tamron 180mm lens. I always carry a tripod now since I bought my Tamron 180mm macro. But before this, I never use any tripod for my Tamron 18-200mm. I'm using Photoshop CS (PC) for all my PP.

4) Which one item of equipment is the most important for you?

*When I leave the house, I make sure that the battery is fully charged as I don't have any spare batteries.


5) How do you decide on locations and subjects?

* Mainly through referrals. I always ask my friends which places are nice to visit and ask them particularly if that place has a lot of beautiful flowers. But I end up getting more subjects other than flowers along the way. My eyes always travel left and right looking for interesting spot and subject while driving, and I make a detour if find particular scene or object interesting. Sometimes I do my research over the net.


6) What are your favorite subjects to photograph?

*My first love is flower, particularly macro shots. Then landscape, birds, portrait and sunset...love sunrise too but I'm asleep during that time.


7) What continues to inspire you as a photographic artist?

*My first and foremost inspiration is my dad. Having this strong desire to make him proud although he won't be able to appreciate anymore my artworks. Then my Flickr friends who continuously encourage me to post when they don't hear from me at all!! I always thrive in a positive and encouraging environment! and who doesn't right? But there were many times when my interest grow stale and no inspiration at all...and I was lucky to meet Jacq77. She serves as my inspiration until now, with her superb masterpiece and friendship.


8) What is the one thing that you have not captured on camera you feel you need to express ?

*Hmm...just give me good location and flowers, I will capture every possible angle there is according to my capability.


9) What other artists have influenced your work?

*Mostly artists here in Flickr. The best community to grow as a photographer. I learn composition from the works of Alonsodr. I learn lighting and being unique from works of Jacq77. I learn excellence from the works of Valpopando. And learn to be competitive with my mentor Doctony. But Jacq77 gives me balance in everything extreme.


10) What other talents do you possess besides photography? And is there another area of talent you would like to explore ?

*I draw and write poems. Jack-of-all-trades...master of one- rubik's cube! hehe!

Yes, combining photography, graphic design and painting all in one.


11) Have you met other flick rites in person, and how was the experience ?

*Prior to joining Flickr, few of them are already my friends. But most of my contacts are all over the world! For sure what a great experience and dream to meet them in person one day!


12) Any words of advice for those who would like to dig deeper into photography?

*Just some suggestions as I don't normally give advice. Keep on shooting and shooting. It is imperative to develop your instinct and creativity more...technical knowledge will just follow.
Be able to integrate your experiences on different areas in life no matter what and apply to photography. And always keep in touch with fellow photographers in Flickr for they are the best inspiration and best friends!


13) Of all the photos you've taken, what is your favorite and why?

*This is so hard to choose since all my artworks recently are my favorite. If I choose one, my choice would be this

www.flickr.com/photos/cookietan/493396787/

The reason is that, I dedicate this photo to my dad who just passed away last November 2006. And this photo best expressed my deepest emotion..which is my driving factor in all my artworks and creativity. Without this feeling, I would not be able to achieve what I have now in just short span of time as others would say.

It's not only the beauty in the subject of photography but it's something that evokes powerful emotion to viewers.


14) If you could change anything on Flickr, what would it be?

*Just the security of our artworks here in Flickr community.

These are the photos that Cookie want to show us in this interview:


1) My Sunshine:



2) Bird of Paradise:



3) The Source:






Thanks to Cookie for showing us her World so full of colors and life.

angie_real aka Angela Lobefaro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookie rocks!
Her works are masterpiece and inspiration to all the Flickr community, professionals as well as beginners.

A daily visit to MacCookie photostream is wonderful way to open your day!

Carmen Martínez Torrón said...

You have an incredible and very interesting blog. Congrats!