1. How did you first get interested in photography? And are you self taught?
I was 13 years old when I get my first camera, a Miranda RE II. With a friend of mine, we had our own little laboratory to develop our black and white shots. We used to shoot a lot at this period. My second period in photography was when I was about 25 years old and began a collection of antics cameras. Here I discover the Leica camera and bought an M6. It was like a revelation with such fantastic camera and I shooted during about 3 years old yards in Paris (windows and doors especially).
Then, due to crazy busy life, I stopped photography. I came back to this old passion less than 2 years ago, when a friend of mine told me about flickr. I bought my first digital camera.
And yes, I am self taught.
2. Do you have a favourite walk around lens? If so, what is it?
I have 2 lens, a 18-200mm and a 10-20mm, but don't have preferences. In fact, it depends of what I want to shoot, or what effect I need...
3. What equipment and software do you use?
I have a Nikon D80, with 2 lenses, a 18-200mm Nikon and a 10-20mm Sigma. I also have a SB 800 Nikon flash.
I have also alays in my pocket a small Panasonic Lumix LX2.
Concerning softwares, I work especially with Photoshop.
For HDR, I work with Photomatix.
For creating backgrounds in my photo montages, I work with a 3D software, which name is VUE, version Esprit.
4. Which one item of equipment is the most important for you?
I think everything is important, but I like very much my small camera, even if I don't use it so often. But it is important for me to know that it is with me, in case of... :-)
5. How do you decide on locations and subjects?
I never know what I will shoot. It can can everything, because I need a lot of different subjects for my photomontages.
6. What are your favorite subjects to photograph?
I always had a preference for architecture.
I am also fan of night shots.
7. What continues to inspire you as a photographic artist?
Difficult question, as I never feel inspirated. But I like the idea that I still try to create something new or different.
8. What is the one thing that you have not captured on camera you feel you need to express?
Nude; I am really interested by this art and hope to begin soon.
9. What other artists have influenced your work?
If you mean famous artists, nobody.
If you mean on flickr, a lot of people, because there is a such interesting and inspiring variety of works there.
10. What other talents do you possess besides photography? And is there another area of talent you would like to explore?
What a difficult question! :-)
Concerning photography, I don't consider that I am talented. Maybe I have some imagination, but most of all, I have a big patience to learn and improve my skills, and I am very meticulous.
Concerning other talents, I have no idea...
11. Have you met other flick rites in person, and how was the experience?
Yes, I met some flickr friends, and it always was a very good experience, because we share the same passion.
12. Any words of advice for those who would like to dig deeper into photography?
Never be afraid to do. I am for the idea of learning by doing.
With the big possibilities of new technologies and softwares, you can experiment so much and find new own ways.
My advice : work a lot.
13. Of all the photos you've taken, what is your favorite and why?
My preferred is a photo montage, "stairways to heaven", because it was the most simple creation I did and I was never able to do such thing a second time. I can precise that it was one of my first photo montage, without big knowledge of photoshop at this period.
14. If you could change anything on flickr, what would it be?
I think flickr is a very good tool and I like it as it is.
These are the photos that David (Bratan) want to show us:
1) The Pyramid of the Louvre in Paris
2) Small is beautiful...;-)
3) Deep purple
Thanks to David for his kind and timely reply ;-) and for showing us his World
made of hilarious, terrific , eclectics, never banal visions and finally to be a good friend and a supportive Flickr member.
taken in March '07